Monday, January 23, 2012

CCC-Have you done it?!


Tell us about it!!

How many attempts did it take you?
Did you go solo?
Was the tide high?
Did you wear your heart rate monitor?
What was your time?
Are you going to try again for a new P.R.?
What was the hardest part?
Did you reward yourself after??
We are DYING to know...

Cardiff Beach Challenge

Park on the 101 near the Cardiff Kook Surfing Statue.  Go around the back of the statue, through the campground and down the stairs.  You will come down to lifeguard stand #17.

Do a 5-10 minute warm-up before you take off on the challenge.  A great dynamic warm-up is the one we do before bootcamp.  It’s important that your heart rate is elevated and your muscles are warm, before you begin.

You will head north on the beach to the end (where the cliff comes out to the water).  On this route, you will come across 6 sets of stairs and one large ramp. 

Your goal this session is to complete the advanced version of this workout in 55 minutes.  That does not include your warm-up.  Your total workout time will be 60 minutes or less.  Depending on your current fitness level, start at either the beginning, intermediate or advanced level.  You have 10 weeks to work up to the advanced level.  Once you have successfully completed the advanced level, please post on the blog under the title “I did the Cardiff Beach Challenge”.  There will be a prize for everyone who completes the Advanced Challenge by the end of the 10 weeks.

Beginner Level
·         Jog or Power walk to the first set of stairs north of you
·         Hit the first set of stairs, climbing up and then back down, 1 time.
·         Skip the next set of stairs you come to
·         Jog or Power walk to the third set of stairs, climb the stairs 1 time
·         Continue down the beach doing every other set of stairs, 1 time.
·         Skip the ramp
·         When you get to the end of the beach, turn around and power walk or jog back
·         Write down your time when you get home so you know how long the workout currently takes you

Intermediate Level
·         Jog to the first set of stairs north of you
·         Hit the first set of stairs, climbing up and then back down 1 time
·         Hit all sets of stairs and the ramp and go up 1 time on each
·         When you get to the end of the beach, turn around and jog back to the beginning

Advanced Level – your goal is to complete this in 55 minutes not including warm-up
·         Jog to the first set of stairs north of you
·         Hit the first set of stairs, climbing up and then back down 2 times
·         Hit all sets of stairs and go up 2 times on each
·         When you come to the ramp, do the ramp 3 times
·         When you get to the end of the beach, turn around and jog back to the beginning

7 comments:

  1. Ran it last week and thought it was fun. I'll go back and do it again. I confess that I didn't stretch because it was after work and I wanted to hurry and get home. Tip ... Stretch. By the 5th stairs, legs were getting heavy. Ran on my own with the ipod. Finished in a little under 45 minutes, but thankfully "had to stop" a couple time to chat with some people I knew. So, I think everyone can do it in under 55. Hardest part is the last set of stairs, after the ramp. The ramp gets steep, so stride out. Definitely a fun workout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it on Sunday. I also didn't stretch as well as I should have and my calves are STILL on fire!! I ran it with a friend, yet he did the beginner/intermediate level. I also did it when it was coming off high tide. Bad planning. I spent a lot of my time running up into the rocks to not get soaked. Especially the stretch from the ramp to Swami's. Also the sand is really soft and much harder to run on. So these days, try and do it between 3-6PM.
    Like Greg said, the last few get heavy on the legs. Stairs #5 were pretty brutal but Swami's was a killer. I did an extra set of Swami's because I ran the return leg up top because of the tide. Still did it in 46 minutes, so I was happy. Have fun with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday I had my second go at the CCC...What a challenging & awesome workout!! We hit the beach around 9:30am on a beautiful, sunny day... the tide was low enough that there was plenty of beach...

    In 55 minutes I was able to complete an "intermediate +" course.... I did all six sets of stairs once (#3 and #5, twice), and two laps of the ramp...

    My goal for next Monday is to to complete the advanced course & time myself, so I know how much time I need to shave off over the rest of this session...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great work out start to finish. Sadly I did not complete it correctly the first time around because of missing a set of stairs clearly I can't count. Missed the last set and wow are they long. Second round I was able to tick it off my to do list but I like it so much I drag my poor neighbor Laura Lee weekly. Best time to try the challenge is after a rain because the sand is hard which makes the long, long run back that much easier. You can do it so get out there and go for it:)

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did it! And if I can do it, most anyone can. The first time I went out, I forgot my watch and I missed the ramp, but decided it was good reconnaissance. Here's what I learned: The first three sets of stairs are slightly closer to each other and slightly shorter than the last three, so pace yourself; the ramp is actually between stair sets 5 and 6, and it heads up to the south, whereas all of the stairs head up to the north; it is a good idea to avoid mid-day on a warm Sunday, as the beach and stairs were crowded.
    Today, my second attempt, I paced myself, starting out more slowly than I would for a normal run, knowing the stairs were going to hurt me; I mixed up how I ran the stairs (single steps, double steps, sideways, etc.) so as to avoid burning out one muscle group;
    I went when it was cooler out, and fewer people on the beach, so I didn't get stuck waiting behind too many people trying to get up or down the stairs; I lost a bit of time climbing over rocks as the tide was coming in, but only for about 100 yards. I was able to complete the advanced challenge comfortably in just under 50 minutes. I think it is all about pacing and not getting burned out early on the stairs. Do it and have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather...you are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tackled the CCC again yesterday and was certain I would CONQUER the advanced course in the allotted 55 minutes! The weather was perfect, cool but sunny... We started about an hour after high tide, so we had enough beach to work with... I had eaten a protein-filled breakfast two and 1/2 hours before... I had lots of can-do-it attitude and energy... and I must say, I tackled this thing with everything I had - pushed hard thru the parts where I knew I needed to make-up some precious minutes (running between each set of stairs, running between the ramp and Swami's - ok, ok, running in general)... and of course, my motivator, friend, neighbor, and supreme cheerleader, Brenda encouraged, cheered, coached, and all but drug me through the entire workout. My final time? 65 minutes!!!

    Although I must admit, I REALLY wanted to make the 55 minute mark, I am convinced that the CCC is one of the best cardio workouts I have ever had!! We tackled this thing SEVEN times this session and I applaud Deanne for offering this challenge to supplement her AWESOME bootcamp sessions.

    CCC, I'm not done with you yet!!

    ReplyDelete