Monday, January 18, 2010

Good Company

So...after reading the latest article, you might be a bit alarmed as to what kind of affect the people you hang with are having on you. I would prefer to think on the positive side...maybe our healthy choices can influence our friends to become more fit rather than the reverse...?

Case in point: My husband and I were given a gift certificate to Donovan's for Christmas. Neither of us really like red meat so we set out for the seafood fare. We are also both trying to shed some pounds so we walked in with some strategy in mind. I had scanned the menu online first to decide what I was going to order. We both decided to only eat until we were satisfied, maybe full but not stuffed. As I devoured my spinach salad (dressing on the side, thank you). I remembered something I had always wanted to try...I said to my husband, "Let's see if we can make this last two hours tonight [the dinner, ahem]". So...we began the conversations and the slooooow eating. Neither one of us touched the loaf of bread (boxed it up for the kids later). We were not drinking (alcohol) but did go through quite a bit of water, soda and the like. Our entrees came and we continued slowly enjoying ourselves and surroundings. I do believe our 5 waiters were a bit confused as they kept asking to take our plates and if everything was okay. I think when we finally let them take our food they were surprised that we wanted the remainder (half of each, boxed). We realized that in order to meet our time goal that we would probably have to order dessert (damn!). I chose the dessert (honestly) that appealed the least to me. I knew that there is no way I could slowly nibble through a chocolate mousse. We had key lime pie. I am not exaggerating when I say that we took 45min to nibble at that 1 piece of confection. We left at least 1/3 of it behind. More water, more discussion and then...before we knew it, the 2 hours were up. We had enjoyed such a nice, relaxing and communication packed evening. The payoff for me came as we were walking out of the restaurant and waiting with other postdining patrons for the valet to get our cars. The comments went something like this: "I am stuffed!" and "I can hardly move, wow!".

I had to smile...
it was a Deanne moment...
I felt satisfied but so not stuffed.
Victory over Steak House, woot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment