Tuesday, January 29, 2013

VBC Chapter One


Did you pick up your copy??
Barnes and Noble, Amazon...library? 

Here is my first tip...it's important:
Lose the cover!
I mean serious...the partially eaten cupcake...helloooo??

Have you heard the research regarding the relationship between dopamine and food? I had read some about it thanks to Deanne and an article she circulated a year or so ago but this chapter 1 was intriguing to me...

I read it through feeling quite sorry for all of the people in this world who suffer from addictions. I related (mildly) to some of the specifics; I breezed over the "Am I an Addict" at the conclusion of the chapter and kept reading for enlightenment.

Tonight in preparation for the post, I reviewed the chapter and made myself seriously take the quiz. And...ahem...my name is Kathleen Allen and I am a food addict.  There. I said it.  Now, mind you, I barely made the cut but I am in...so...let's talk ourselves through this.  Did you take the test...I mean seriously? Don't do it casual..Take out a pen and mark up your book. Are you in??

I like the recognition that we all live on the reward system and that there are many rewards or "fixes" that are healthy and constructive.  It is the "false fixes" that we must steer away from that are destructive.  The author (Pam Peeke) points out how food became a false fix.  I feel like we have been set up. 

One more point that I liked stemmed from her discussion regarding genetics and the role they play. This genetics thing is not a new concept either but did you read the paragraph on page 11 about epigenetics?  Dr. Peeke explains that the environment in which we live can actually alter how our body responds to the genetics we have been "gifted"...I love the fact that we (as Forever Fitters) have the ability to alter how the genetics take hold by creating a community of healthy eating and activitivy.  We are sooo lucky to have each other, to have Deanne for great work outs and to have our incredible San Diego weather and gorgeous seascapes, parks a' plenty, trails and bike paths which help keep our healthly lifestyle front and center in our world(s).

Go Us!!:)


No comments:

Post a Comment