Friday, April 30, 2010

Kath's commentary

I have a personal blog where I rant about life and such. I have had an ongoing series which I entitled "Food Wars". I have decided to share with you my most recent post of this series. I figured it was only fair since I alluded to the lot of you...




This is the banner I created for the Boot Camp blog to advertise the new Spring session that is complete with a score card and competition.

I am losing. (Not weight) I got pretty frustrated upfront because the score card is directly related to a web log where we are to record our food and fitness. The web log is not my friend. It is tedious and I don't like tedious for fitness. Tedious is okay for invitation creating, lesson or talk prepping and even teeth scaling but fitness accountability? I think not!

Hopefully with practice I will get more friendly with the web log. In the meantime I have learned (or relearned) a few things about myself.

1. My killing myself with exercise the morning after a bad eating day was my way of justifying my bad eating choices. I am not talking calorie for calorie, I am talking self penitence and reconciliation.

2. Exercise is not the "fix-it" for over eating. The only "fix-it" for over eating is getting to the bottom of why
it is that you over ate in the first place.

3. All of this feels connected to how I feel about myself.

4. When I am strong and confident, I am in control of what enters my mouth and I have a realistic outlook of the results of said intake.

5. When I am in a state of self doubt for whatever reason, other parts of me get to take control like appetites.

6. When it comes right down to it...my mouth and stomach have much less to do with this equation than I have ever realized before.

more to come...

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more Kath. I know I feel better when I eat healthy and sometimes I don't pay attention to that feeling before I eat junk. I've come to the same conclusion - that stress, or being tired or feeling incompetent makse me eat emotionally - a way maybe to beat myself up and affirm the conversation in my head.
    Not that it's this simple, but the weblog has really helped me think twice in this arena. It's not always 100%, but when I think about having to enter two tootsie rolls or a single potato chip, it prevents me from going the distance to my mouth. I haven't found the weblog tedious at all, but the most useful tool in realizing how much I'm really eating. I'm following the menus so I just download them into the meal for the day and make changes accordingly. Once I see the calories go up with every entry, it truly curbs my behavior for the rest of the day. I'm trying to embrace it, rather than fight against it, so I'll stop beating myself up with food so much.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts - they're not so easy to discuss and it's nice to know that others who you think have no struggles, have the same issues you do. It makes me feel more normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I couldn't have said any of this any better. Thank you both for sharing. I know these posts will help everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Keely! Loved your insight and also am encouraged to keep trying at the web log. I am just a slow learner in this area, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok....I'm jumping in here (is it to get a few extra points or do I really have something to say?) Maybe both.

    I actually wanted to post something on Monday but after signing up w/ google it just wouldn't let me. So, one of the things that I learned this week was from Deanne. She told me that I should be going to bed hungry. Now that is the last thing that I would ever think of doing. Matter of fact, one of my "old habits" is enjoying something sweet or at least satisfying right before bed. Well now I know and it will be one of my "new habits". Thanks Deanne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two questions and since I know Deanne is in bed already I'm posting them here.

    I've been trying to input my calories burned for today (Tues.) and after I input the # it automatically changes back to 100 in the box. (This is after I've hit the save button), any ideas?

    Also, was wondering if we should be immediately turning off our heart monitor/calorie counter as soon as we finish the workout? I did not do that today and noticed how many more calories I burned by just walking around the house. I think I know the answer but want to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good questions Trish. You have to hit the update button on the web log when you input data, and then the save button.

    As for when to turn your heart rate monitor off... you guessed it! Right when you are finished working out. I've already calculated your calories (resting metabolic rate) for what you're doing the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete