Monday, January 17, 2011

What is your best tip so far?

As I head into week 3 of the rapid fat loss program, I am challenged with keeping it interesting. It was easy for the first 2 weeks as my husband was out of town and I just kept repeating my easy meals. Keeping it simple paid off. I've lost 4.4 pounds in 2 weeks. My cravings are still in check and my energy is high.

I plan to mix up my meals a little this week. If you are looking for some new interesting things to do with your protein and vegetables, I will have a couple new recipes that you can add to your packet.

So here's a recap of week 2 from me. I would love to hear from you. Give your fellow campers your one or two best tips for making this plan successful. The posts are full of great ideas so far. Let's keep it going!
1. making one of the vegetable soups on Sunday for the rest of the week saved me so many times. I would come home hungry and in the past grab something quick and processed. The soup takes about 45 seconds to heat up. Have it with a little protein and you'll be set for a couple hours. The water content and high fiber in the soups make them very satisfying and I give them a 10/10 on the "FF" scale (fullness factor)
2. I did a little more prep yesterday for the upcoming week than I did the first 2 weeks. With the hubby back in town, I wanted the dinners to be a little nicer, so here's what I did yesterday. It took me about an hour after I did my plan and my shopping. I made a batch of the broccoli soup (should last me through Friday). I marinated my Bourbon Flank Steak (this is a recipe I will hand out this week). I hard boiled a half dozen eggs for quick breakfasts or snacks. I soaked and cooked enough lentils for at least 4 days. In the morning I had the Vegetable Quiche Cups for breakfast and froze the remaining cups for quick breakfasts this week. I had some good tunes on in the kitchen and had a good time getting organized.
3. Over the past week and a half, I found myself eating out 4 times for dinner (3 planned, one not planned). Now for obvious reasons, I recommend eating out on your Cheat Day so you can really enjoy the restaurant food as it's intended (high calorie and not healthy), but all days that I happened to eat out last week were my low or medium carb days. I'm happy to report that while it's not as much fun, it is possible to stick to the rules of the plan at all the restaurants I attended. Here's what I had:
A. Red Robin - Hamburger protein style (large lettuce leaves and no bun) with salsa for dipping and side dinner salad
B. Rubios - Roasted Vegetable and Mixed Green Salad with Chicken (new on the menu). I ordered extra chicken because I thought they were a little stingy with their protein serving. They charged me an extra $2.50 but worth it. I think they created this option after the new law forced them to display the calories of all their meals - WOW! What an eye opener. Do my kids really need a bean and cheese burrito that is almost 800 calories????
C. Smashburger - now this one was not that fun but like I said, still do-able. Promised the family smashburger last night so I had mine protein style with no fries.

Hey did I mention that I have my parents on this plan too? Trying to keep them healthy so they live a long life! I saw my dad on Saturday after he had been on the plan for a week. Here's what he said, "Your mom keeps telling me that today is my cheat day but I don't really see anyone that I want to cheat with." Thanks for keeping it light dad! Have a great week everyone. Can't wait to hear from you.

9 comments:

  1. Ok, I posted a comment and now it is gone, so if it double posts-sorry! Deanne, I just have to say that your Dad's comment made me LAUGH! And you know, lots of laughter leads to weight loss! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some prep today and already feel so much better about my week. I grilled some chicken for salads and made soup and chopped veggies for morning eggs and salads. It only took me an hour but will save me so much time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Because I did so much prep on Sunday, I was able to go out for an hour yesterday and today and play basketball with my kids. Planning and prep is key to a smooth week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help! I am sooo sick of eggs and veggies for breakfast!! I know I could do a protein shake but that sounds way tooo cold. Am I just being a moaner?? perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about some beans, veggies and salsa? Or, turkey rolls with string cheese and peppers. Or, cottage cheese with some protein powder, cinnamon and sliced almonds. Or, the Almond Milk Protein Shake, or get out those leftovers from dinner last night? Ok that might be tough. I haven't tried that one yet. What about a cup of warm broth based soup with a couple lean sausages? Anyone else have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK!! - My husband and I have finally gotten started and I have to say, we are both LOVING the food!! This is HUGE for him! We both especially loved our yummy snack today of pnut butter yogurt - YUM!! I think I may try it next time with chocolate protein Powder just for a change - what do you think? Has anyone tried that? OK... I have lots of questions out here in Florida- hopefully some of you can offer some help. First off, I cannot find Laura Scudder Pnut butter here at all - can you give me the calorie count and fat count in it for a serving - and is the serving listed as 1 or 2 Tablespoons? I want to make sure I am making a good alternative pick. I am saving my better n pnut butter for the cottage cheese parfait - I ordered the better npnut butter on line so I could get the low sodium one - I've now got so much, I could become a distributor of it! :) Also, I am guessing that the mention of grapes in the edamame chicken salad recipe is wrong? We are not to have any fruit right? I did make it without and it was really good but hey, if I can have grapes, then I want them! If I am not a fan of the cottage cheese parfait thing, can I use plain yogurt instead? Where do you find the Dr. Praeger brand of veggie burgers and what are the calorie and fat counts of them (in case I have to go to something else?) I still cannot find follow your heart dressing but am trying something else that is comparable I think.... I did buy some Bragg's but it comes as dressings - in different kinds - not sure what one you were talking about Deanne but I purchased the sesame soy so hopefully that is it. Let me know if any of you have answers for me. I sure miss you all but Tom and I will do our best as the South Florida contingent of the Forever Fitters! 2 days in and I already feel better - more energy! Kathleen - my only suggestion is that nearly everything tastes better with lots of salsa on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have (what I think) is a yummy new snack recipe to share! Put 1.5 cups of Almond Milk (I use the 40 cal/cup) in a blender and add 1 scoop of Protein Powder, a few shakes of Cinnamon and a few shakes of Pumpkin Spice, blend with ice (1 to 2 cups). It is delicious with a straw or eaten with a spoon, depending on how much ice you use.I love it as an afternoon treat or a post workout snack. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cori, you can use any all natural peanut butter. The only 2 ingredients you want to see are peanuts and oil. Use only 1 TBSP or 2 TBSP if you are using BNP (better 'n peanut butter). Veggie burgers are not required. I put them in there because we do have some vegetarians. Most of the veggie burgers on the market are filled with crap! I like the Dr. Praeger's because they only have a few ingredients and all of them are things we know. If you can't find something similar, skip it and eat a meat protein instead. Yeah, skip the grapes right now unless it's a Cheat Day. I have nothing against fruit but for the next 10 weeks, eat vegetables instead to keep your blood sugar very stable. You can replace the cottage cheese with plain yogurt and I think trying the chocolate protein powder sounds yummy. I haven't picked up the bragg's yet so let me look into that one. Glad you and Tom are enjoying the program. We'll have to think of another prize if you win since you can't enjoy free bootcamp classes from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma, I can't wait to try that protein shake tomorrow. That is the perfect post workout snack. If you can drink it within 15-45 minutes of your workout, it is the perfect refueling snack for your body! I just so happen to have pumpkin spice and will be giving this one a try tomorrow. I am going to blend it up and store it in a thermos for right after bootcamp tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete